The Noden-Reed House and Barn
The Noden-Reed House and Barn stand with beauty and dignity as they have since the 1800s. Each embraces treasures and mementos from the earlier days of this riverside town. Built in 1826, the barn is one of the few remaining brick barns in New England. Inside, handsome carriages look ready for a Sunday ride. Fine old farm tools include the hatchets and spears once used to cultivate tobacco. In the 1840 farmhouse, hand-stitched quilts and blankets adorn antique beds. Vintage clothing, uniforms and accessories are on abundant display. An array of jugs, bottles, tin and wooden utensils line the country kitchen shelves. As one of the town’s nine homesteads at the time of the Revolutionary War, Noden-Reed Park was the site of Hessian soldier Hendrick Roddemore’s cabin. By legend, this was the home of Connecticut’s first Christmas tree in 1777. With great pride, the Windsor Locks Historical Society welcomes you to see and savor these 19th-century highlights at the Noden-Reed House & Barn.
The house and barn are open for guided tours the last Sunday of every month from 1 – 4 p.m., excluding holidays, special occasions or closings. Also, by appointment. Suggested tour donations are $2 for adults, $1 for students/seniors. Children under 12 admitted free with an adult. Historical Society members in good standing are always free.
Want to learn more about the history of Noden-Reed Park? Click the link below: